Skip to navigation

Housing/Council Tax Benefits

Housing benefit is available to help people who are on benefits or who have low incomes to help pay their rent, or their council tax and is claimed from and paid by your Local Authority. You can read Shelter's advice on all aspects of housing benefits, including information on how to apply and how it is paid.

If you are unsure about your rights or are experiencing problems with your claim, get advice immediately from a housing aid centre, your local Citizens Advice Bureau, Local Authority or other local advice centre, or visit the Shelter Get Advice pages.